Recent Posts

Friday, October 15, 2010

French Fridays: Vietnamese Spicy Chicken Noodle Soup

Who would think a can of coconut milk could bring so much to the table? As part of French Fridays with Dorie, I made her Vietnamese Spicy Noodle Soup on over the long weekend. I've documented how the man loves Asian food before, so you all know how many points I won with this recipe selection. Lots. And Lots. I'm hoping to for some nice earrings for Christmas, and if I keep cooking soup like this, I might just get them...

I started by brewing up a poaching liquid that will later become the base of the soup. Poaching bone-in chicken (Dorie calls for skinless chicken breasts, but I subbed in some thighs and legs, with the skin removed). Chilis, coconut milk, chicken stock and spices go into a soup pot, and simmer away to gently poach the chicken parts. The result is a flavorful broth and chicken that has taken on a subtle coconut flavor.
 Noodles (again, Dorie calls for Chinese egg noodles, but I prefer rice noodles, and we had then on hand, always a bonus) are prepared in boiling water while I shredded that delicious chicken (I did this while the man - a notorious chicken picker - was still at work) chicken returns to the pot, and I chopped cilantro, mint and basil. I spooned rooster sauce into a fancy little dish. Fish sauce and hoisin made an appearance. The man called to tell me he was stuck in traffic, so I make salad...to kill time more than anything else. When I heard the man's obnoxiously loud car in the driveway, I lit some tea lights - can soup be romantic? - yes soup this good can definitely be romantic.
The broth is at the same time rich and aromatic as it is refreshing,  I'm sure the generous squeeze of lime has something to do with it. It was a winner with the man, and with me as well. Definitely easy, and definitely a soup I'll make again, perhaps with Dorie's suggested curry paste next time? I don't buy many cookbooks (ok, thats a blatant lie, sorry) but Around My French Table has proven repeatedly that its full of classy, simple, and delicious fare. Plus, PICTURES! I love to be able to look at the photo in a cookbook and see if it looks 'right'. I cannot reccommend it enough.

3 comments:

Mary said...

Yes, I think that soup is earring-worthy. I love etsy too.

Nicky said...

Oh I love it! Trading food for pretty presents... What a great idea!

Elle said...

Thank you both for the nice comments! I'm pretty sure they were right about that 'way to the heart being through the stomach' thing. Everything seems more reasonable to him after dinner...

Post a Comment