Recent Posts

Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Family Favorite


When you’re working toward any goal, it’s always easiest to start where you know things. It breeds confidence you’ll need later to make giant leaps when you can’t see a net to help you.

Since I’m trying to break through a depressing kitchen rut, I decided to start with what can only be called a ‘family favorite’ in our house: Melissa Clark’s Shrimp & Broccoli. I’ve made it countless times. I’ve mentioned it here before because its popularity and ease make it an all around winner. I have 13-year-old cousins that love this dish, and it’s this year’s birthday dinner request from the man. It’s so easy, you feel like you’re cheating...and it feels so good.

I always vary the spice blend, depending on what’s on hand, what’s being served with it, and what I feel like eating. We’ve eaten it dressed out in ginger and lemon grass with some rice noodles, or roasted in herbs and lemon zest over polenta. Last night we used smoked paprika, lemon zest and a pinch of herbs de provence. We served it with some parsley-flecked, almond – studded brown rice. 2 pans, dinner on the table, and I’m calling it a victory.  I’m back.

0 comments:

Post a Comment