Recent Posts

Thursday, September 9, 2010

Blueberry Buttermilk Pancakes



I loved canning this weekend, but truth be told, I'm usually a freezer-bag-preservation kind of a girl. I get it from my mother. She will slave for a day over a "vat" of tomato sauce, only to let it cool enough to fill dozens of freezer bags so that her whole days' work stretches throughout half the year. I am always buying two if berries, peaches, or anything else I love that freezes well is available, and tucking it away for a rainy day. Evidence enough is the stockpile of blueberries in my freezer. This weekend, I was feeling rather sweet, and while the man slept in, I whipped up a batch of blueberry pancakes... Okay so truthfully, this came less from my heart and more than a little from an absurdly stubborn and, shall we say 'frugal' streak that runs through me. I had buttermilk leftover from a pan of cornbread I made almost a week ago, and since I hate waste, almost as much as I hate the idea of a dairy product sitting in our wastebin for a week, it needed to be used. What better use is there for buttermilk than pancakes?  




Blueberry Buttermilk Pancakes



2 cups all-purpose flour

2 teaspoons baking powder

1 teaspoon baking soda

1/2 teaspoon salt

3 tablespoons sugar

1/2 tablespoon cinnaomon

2 large eggs

2 1/2 cups buttermilk

1/2 cup 2% milk

4 tablespoons unsalted butter

1 cup fresh or frozen (do not thaw) blueberries


I used my counter top griddle, because I'm obsessed with it, but these can easily be made in a heavy bottom (read: even - heating ) pan, set your burner to medium - high and keep it buttered (unless you have amazing nonstick cookware, )

Heat your griddle to 375 degrees. Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and sugar in a medium bowl. Combine eggs, buttermilk, milk, and melted butter; add to dry ingredients gently, the batter should be a little lumpy, you dont want flat, tough pancakes.

Use your 1/4 cup measuring cup (or eyeball it, I won't tell) and pour pancake batter in pools. Dot the pools with your blueberries. When pancakes have bubbles coming through on top and are slightly brown around edges (slightly being key here), flip over. It will take much less time for the second side to reach golden brown so do not walk away to shoo the cat off the table, or to make sure your tea has steeped. Stay with the griddle!

A little tip from my mom (who probably stole it from Martha Stewart, truth be told) If you heat the oven to just under 200 degrees, you can slide your pancakes onto a cookie sheet and they will all stay warm together...Unless youre family is big enough to eat in shifts. Which occasionally happens where I'm from.



0 comments:

Post a Comment